Sunday, March 13, 2011

Soil Preparation & Planning

With more rain and cool weather in the forecast for the Central Valley, be sure to keep busy with soil preparation and garden planning.  I have already begun planting my plants in the ground, but March and April are considered the months to plant- so you are not too late!  If you have already started planting- good job!  If not, be sure to read below on how to prepare your soil for planting.

Wherever you plan on planting your garden (no matter how big or how small) your soil composition is one of the most important ingredients (the other two being sun and water!).  If you are new to planting, you might want to consider a soil-test kit available at a local garden-supply store.  These inexpensive kits can give you a gage as to the characteristics of you soil as well as what your soil is lacking (or if your soil is too high in a certain element).  Years ago during my “baby-stage” of life, when my days were filled with laundry, nursing & diapers, I loved to watch on PBS the Master Gardener, Jerry Baker.  One thing I remember him saying over and over again was, “You don’t feed your plants.  Your soil feeds your plants.”  Those two sentences have stuck with me since that time.  One way, in fact, that I literally “feed my plants” is by composting.  My soil health has increased dramatically the last four years since my family began composting.  Composting adds organic material to my soil.  I toss all my vegetable scraps, bunny droppings and plant trimmings (pesticide & disease free) into my compost bin.  This keeps my soil free of disease, plus recycles our “trash” back into a renewable source of food for our family.  I will blog more about composting once our gardens are healthy and growing well.  Common problems in Fresno County with soils: soil is overly acidic, lacks nitrogen, hard pan (too much clay), too sandy (for my Caruthers friend!) or too alkaline (opposite of acidic).  Each of these problems can be solved by adding missing elements to your dirt.  So, first figure out what kind of soil you have and then we’ll troubleshoot soil that needs extra care.

If this is your very first year to stick a vegetable plant in the ground, here are some good tips.  First, purchase some basic soil mix.  I have seen soil mixes specifically for vegetables, which work good too.  When I start a new garden bin or work on a new plot of ground, I will add a nice big bag to my dirt and then till it under.  You want your soil to be light and easy to work in.  I usually try to turn up about two feet in depth.  You can add green material (leaves, clippings, etc.) as long as they are clean.  In the Central Valley especially, the next important factor in preparing for a garden is a watering system.  I try to hand-water most my garden (since it is so small), but I still have a watering system set up for those times when I am just too busy to get outside and water (or we go out-of-town).  I never depend on my sprinklers for watering.  For me watering is my chance to say, “hi” to each of my plants, troubleshoot impending problems, watch for the first sign of pests, divide plants, help trellis my plants and adjust water basins around the plants themselves. 

Same holds true if you plan on sticking a tomato plant in a barrel/pot.  Be sure you fill the barrel with good soil and attach a drip-system sprinkler into the bucket for those days when you can’t seem to get outside to water.  Depending on the plant, our lovely Fresno heat can kill a plant in just one day. Our sun dries up the soil in a barrel/pot much quicker than the plants in-ground.  Make sure your barrel has a hole (or two) in the bottom for drainage.  Your plant will rot at the roots if it sits in water.  I actually set my barrels on bricks to help the water drain.

Another early-spring activity is to sketch out your garden.  A technique (and book) I have used for years (and another PBS special) is called Square Foot Gardening, by Mel Bartholomew.  My garden is very small and limiting.  To optimize my space, I draw out my garden space onto graph paper (bird’s eye view- from above).  Then, I estimate how much space each plant will take.  This gives me a good idea how many plants to plant/buy as well as provides an opportunity for me to think through my garden height demands and water drainage issues before putting an actually plant/seed in the ground.  For example, my gardening boxes are 4’x 8’.  An average indeterminate tomato plant takes up a 2’x 2’ square.  So in one of my garden bins, I can only plant 8 tomatoes.  I have learned the square foot gardening specifications are not “if you feel like it, plant tomatoes this particular distance apart.”  Planting much closer inhibits airflow through and around your tomatoes and keeps plants from getting the sunlight and water they need. 

If your soil is healthy and your garden is planned out, you are sure to have a bountiful year in vegetables this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment