Sunday, January 1, 2012

Don't Waste Your Christmas Tree!

Among other activities this week, the slow and depressing job of taking down Christmas decorations has been going on in my house.  Part of that job involves throwing out our tree.

Certain plants in my yard thrive on acidic soil (blueberries, azaleas, hydrangeas, etc...).  Once my Christmas tree is out of my house, I cut branches into little pieces and then distribute my new clean-cut clippings around the base of my acid-loving plants.  The pine needles will decompose into a slow-release form of fertilizer. 

You do not need a fancy chipper-shredder to do this job.  I used only my small pruning clippers to chop up the smaller, thinner branches of my tree.  If you have a small yard like mine, you'll only need a bucket or two of clippings to feed your acid plants. 

Mix some pine needles into the dirt as well as leave a layer on the top of the soil to provide your plant with extra mulch during our cold season.

It is a cheap and practical way to use up your Christmas resource and feed your garden!

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment